Looking for Apt as a package manager for Windows then nothing good is more than Chocolatey? It is one of the best package manager available for Windows 10 to install all popular software and tools using a command line interface. However, that doesn’t mean that if you don’t like the command line, you can’t use it.
Just like Synaptic Package Manager for APT for Linux, on Windows 10, we can use Chocolate mistletoe, which offers graphical user interface to find and install various open source and proprietary software and utility packages like DOcker, MySQL, MongoDB, Apache, Nginx, etc.
So let’s see how to install Chocolatey GUI on Windows 10 or Windows 7
- Go to Windows Search bar and type Powershell or CMD.
- As it appears right click on it and run PowerShell or CMD as administrator.
- If you have already enabled Chocolatey package manager on Windows, then to jump this step otherwise copy and paste the given single command.
Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass -Scope Process -Force; [System.Net.ServicePointManager]:: Security protocol = [System.Net.ServicePointManager]:: SecurityProtocol -bor 3072; iex ((New-Object System.Net.WebClient) .DownloadString (‘https://chocolatey.org/install.ps1’))
- Once the Choco is installed on your system, it is time to install Synaptic package manager like the Chcoclatey GUI. Run the following command.
choco install ChocolateyGUI
- Now go to the search box again and type in Chocolatey GUI. This time you will see its icon, click on it to run it.
- In the search bar of the Choco Graphical UI application, type the package you want to install. As it appears in the result, click the download icon to install it.
- That’s it. Now you have Ubuntu Synptatic as GUI Package Manager on your Windows 10 to install the software quickly. In addition, it allows us to update and uninstall them directly from the interface.
- To do this, select the This PC option which will reveal all application packages installed by choco, select the one you want to uninstall, reinstall, update or pin.