Taking on too much debt can lock you into a payday loan cycle, which can be difficult to overcome. If you face this situation, there are many ways to solve your problems to free yourself from your debts. Here are some suggestions you should check out.
Ultimate Guide to Breaking the Payday Loan Cycle
Payday loans give you an easy way to pay off your debts when you need money fast. However, if you don’t exercise control when you borrow, debt can spiral out of control and lead to a cycle of payday loan debt. This happens when you are forced to keep borrowing to pay off your existing debt. When you apply for a payday loan, your paycheck serves as collateral, so it doesn’t matter if you have bad credit. The lender has the authority to withdraw from your bank account when you receive your next paycheck.
The lender charges a fee to process the amount, often 15% to 30% of the amount borrowed. This interest can accumulate and could attract an APR of over 400%. If you use your paycheck to pay for other expenses, you risk delaying your payday loan repayment, which will lead to a payday loan vicious cycle. Here are some ideas you could use if you’re stuck in a payday loan cycle.
Identify the underlying problem
When looking for a way out of the payday loan cycle, the first thing to do is review your life for the underlying problem. By itself, the loan is not the main factor that you are in a financial crisis. The payday loan debt cycle is just one symptom of a problem you need to address. It is essential that you examine yourself to find out what drives you to take out this type of loan in the first place. Are you held back by other debts?
Is it difficult to budget and save money for emergencies and annual expenses? Or is the problem due to an addiction that has kept you in a paycheck to paycheck life cycle? Once you have identified the main problems, you can seek professional help, as sometimes you may not have the skills to fix the problem yourself.
Track and identify your expenses
Before developing a plan to manage your payday loan cycle, it’s important to understand your actual monthly expenses. This assessment will tell you where you can find opportunities to change your expenses and how much money you need to set aside to manage your annual and seasonal expenses. You can keep track of your expenses by keeping a small notebook with you, which you can use to record your expenses.
Also enter your receipts on a spreadsheet or use an app to manage your expenses on your mobile device. Whichever option you choose, you need to be honest with yourself. Build a plan with accurate information and you will break the cycle of payday loans.
Create a personal budget
Another way to understand how to manage payday loan debt is to create a realistic personal budget. Once you’ve completed the first two steps, a budget will help you better manage your seasonal expenses. With this, you can plan how to pay off your payday loan debts. For effective budgeting, consider these simple steps:
- Identify your income and expenses. Know how much you earn and where the money goes.
- Separate needs and wants. Highlight the items you can do without and also list all the necessities.
- Design your budget. Balance the budget to account for everything you want to pay.
- Implement your plan. Match expenses when you receive income. Decide what you will use your paycheck for.
- Highlight seasonal expenses, such as school expenses and subscriptions. Set funds aside for these expenses to ensure you don’t go into debt to pay for them.
Repay your payday loans
The eventual solution to ending the cycle of payday loans is to pay off your payday loans. It’s important to make tough short-term decisions that will help you settle your debts. Once you have paid off the debt, you can review your expenses and budget to maintain your free status. Here are the steps you can use to successfully negotiate debt repayment for your payday loans.
- Calculate how much you can afford to pay for payday loans each month. Check what you have left after paying your expenses.
- Pay each payday loan company a share of available funds each month to demonstrate that you are prepared to honor your agreement.
- Before talking to company representatives, put a stop on payments on pre-authorized debits to prevent them from cashing out and leaving you with no money for other expenses.
- Before the loan is due, alert companies that you are unable to pay as agreed, so ask to speak with someone who can help you get a payment plan.
- Explain to the representatives that you intend to get out of debt.
- Share details about your current payday loans and let them know you’ve looked at your budget and determined you can only afford to pay a certain amount.
- Don’t take out a new payday loan, as this could push you further into debt, so first maintain a firm stance to settle your current loan.
- Once you have reached an agreement, maintain your commitment to repay all debts.
While this is only recommended if you can find a lender willing to give you lower interest, it can be an ideal way to get yourself out of payday loan debt. You borrow the cheapest loan and use the money to pay off outstanding debt. After settling payday loans, you can now focus on paying off the loan you applied for to get out of debt.
Debt can impact your mental and financial well-being. It’s important to make sure you resolve your situation as soon as possible to break the cycle of payday loans. Once you’ve paid off your debts, you’ll feel better overall. Learn new financial skills like budgeting to ensure you don’t go into debt in the future.
Do you have any current advice? Call us at (661) 298-1220 or email [email protected] Don’t miss a thing. Get the latest KHTS Santa Clarita News alerts straight to your inbox. Report a typo or error, email [email protected]
KHTS FM 98.1 and AM 1220 is Santa Clarita’s only local radio station. KHTS mixes a combination of news, traffic, sports and features with your favorite adult contemporary hits. Santa Clarita News and Features are broadcast throughout the day on our airwaves, on our website and on various social media platforms. Our KHTS award-winning daily newsletters are now read daily by over 34,000 residents. A vibrant member of the Santa Clarita community, the KHTS broadcast signal reaches the entire Santa Clarita Valley and parts of the high desert communities located in Antelope Valley. The station broadcasts its talk shows on the web, reaching potentially global audiences. Follow @KHTSRadio on Facebook, Twitterand instagram.